Interesting Canon patent application (2019-056787, Japan). The patent describes a pop-up flash with LEDs. This is interesting for videographers or anyone needing a continuous light source for their work.
From the patent literature:
[…] when using LED which carries out a continuous light as a light source of a lighting system, the measure against the heat which occurs from LED serves as problem. If the measure against heat is not performed sufficiently, LED deteriorates for a short time and there is a possibility that it may become impossible for light volume to be deteriorated or to switch on the light. If it is a lighting system removable to a camera like a Patent document 2, in order to radiate heat in the heat which occurs from LED, it is possible to provide a radiation substrate with a large area, but in the type which has a pop-up function, it is difficult to provide a radiation substrate with a large area near the LED.
Then, in a lighting system movable to the stowed position and usage position which used LED as the light source, an object of the present invention is to enable it to radiate heat in the heat which suppresses enlargement and occurs from LED.[Means for solving problem]
To achieve the above objects, the lighting system concerning the present invention, The radiation substrate which has a light-emitting part which uses LED as a light source, and a housing, is a lighting system with the aforementioned light-emitting part movable to the stowed position stored by the aforementioned housing and the usage position projected from the aforementioned housing, and carries out surface mounting of the aforementioned LED, It has a projection surface which ejects the light from the aforementioned LED, and a reflective surface which turns the light from the aforementioned LED to the aforementioned projection surface, and it reflects, and the aforementioned radiation substrate is arranged in the surface which is not parallel to the aforementioned projection surface.
This patent might indeed go into production sooner than later.
More Canon patent applications are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production in the next few years are these:
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files
Source: Canon News