Canon patent application 2019-0113711 (USA) describes the optical formula for an RF 50mm f/1.8 and RF 28mm f/1.8 lens, both for the Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless system.
Focal length 48.50
Half angle of view (degrees) 24.04
Image height 21.64
Total lens length 95.00
Focal length 28.80
Half angle of view (degrees) 36.91
Image height 21.64
Total lens length 80.30
It’s likely Canon will launch these non-L lenses sooner than later. Both are popular focal lengths on full frame, and it’s also likely Canon is set to offer some less expensive (aka budget) lenses for the EOS R system.
More Canon patent applications are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production in the next few years are these:
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files
Source: Canon News