A new Canon patent and for once it doesn't refer to RF mount lenses but…
There might be no more doubt that Canon is actively working on IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation). Here is another Canon patent application.
Canon patent application 2019-152785 describes an IBIS unit and its working. An excerpt from the paten literature:
Problems of the stage device as the blur correction mechanism of such an image pickup device include high efficiency in driving force generation and linearity improvement of a magnetic circuit for position detection. In response to this problem, Patent Document 2 discloses a configuration in which three magnets are arranged for each driving force generation unit to form a magnetic circuit using the concept of the Halbach array (hereinafter referred to as “Halbach magnetic circuit”).
it is possible to achieve high efficiency in generating driving force and to improve the linearity of the magnetic circuit for position detection
Some rumor outlets are presenting this patent application as the patent describing “the IBIS” Canon is going to feature on future cameras. We’d be a bit more cautious with such claims. There is nothing to proof it is “the IBIS”. More likely, it’s just one more IBIS patent in a long row.
We have no doubt IBIS is indeed coming to future Canon cameras. We would just be a bit more prudent and avoid saying it will be on board on Canon’s next EOS R model (which most likely it will not). Not on the next one, but maybe on the camera coming after.
More Canon patent applications are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- A cooling adapter for the RF mount (R5 overheating?)
- A bunch of macro lenses for the RF mount.
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files