Since Canon's commitment to mirrorless technology we can expect the company to improve the technology…
A new Canon patent application suggests the company might have an interesting lens for the EOS R ecosystem up their sleeve.
Hi Lows Note spotted Canon patent application 2020-166234A (Japan), where optical formulas for an RF 8-15mm f/4 fish-eye lens are discussed. The lens seems to be pretty much the mirrorless counterpart to the EF 8-15mm f/4 fish-eye.
- Zoom ratio: 1.85
- Focal length: 8.10 12.51 15.01 mm
- F number: 4.10 4.10 4.10
- Half angle of view: 90.14 90.45 90.39
- Image height: 11.50 18.00 21.60 mm
- Lens length: 123.74 111.21 109.67 mm
- Back focus: 11.78 20.27 24.66 mm
We think it’s very likely this lens will hit the market, sooner or later. Btw, it’s not the first patent for a fish-eye lens for EOS R.
More Canon patent applications are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- A cooling adapter for the RF mount (R5 overheating?)
- A bunch of macro lenses for the RF mount.
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files