This is a rather interesting Canon patent application, and it might well go into production…
Does Canon have a 4/3 camera in their lineup? However, here is a Canon patent application for a lens that seems to fit such a sensor.
Canon patent application 2021-183997 (Japan) discusses optical formulas for a 14-280mm f/2.8-5.6 lens for a camera with a 4/3 sensor. From the patent literature:
There are known zoom lenses that are compact and can efficiently obtain a magnification ratio, which are suitable for image pickup devices such as digital cameras, video cameras, and TV cameras. The zoom lens has a first lens group having a positive refractive power, a second lens group having a negative refractive power, and a third lens group having a positive or negative refractive power in order from the object side to the image side. There is something. In the zoom lens, the lens group on the image side of the third lens group is moved to correct (compensate) the image plane movement due to the scaling.
- Focal length 14.26 117.92 280.89
- F number 2.88 5.38 5.77
- Half angle of view (°) 37.19 5.24 2.21
- Image height 10.82 10.82 10.82
- Lens total length 181.14 181.14 181.14
- BF 19.35 10.59 6.46
The patent also describes a lens with 10x zoom. Maybe both lenses are for an upcoming PowerShot-like camera with a 4/3 sensor? Or a video camera?
- Focal length 17.51 87.85 169.87
- F number 2.27 4.40 4.63
- Half angle of view (°) 31.70 7.02 3.64
- Image height 10.82 10.82 10.82
- Lens total length 129.45 129.45 129.45
- BF 21.20 11.01 6.13
More Canon patent applications are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- Automatic shutter silencing based on subject and distance
- A bunch of prime lenses for the RF mount
- An improved Electronic Viewfinder
- Patent application for RF 50mm F1.4 and an RF 35mm f/1.4 lenses
- A zoom lens that might be for an EOS R with APS-C sensor
- A smaller IBIS unit.
- A cooling adapter for the RF mount (R5 overheating?)
- A bunch of macro lenses for the RF mount.
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files