A new Canon patent, and once more more for RF mount lenses (what else?). Canon…
A new Thursday, a new Canon patent. Not surprising yet another one for the RF mount. The whole thing was spotted by asobinet.com.
Canon patent application 2021-131499 (Japan) discusses optical formulas for what appears to be an RF 70mm f/1.8 STM lens for Canon’s full frame mirrorless system EOS R. From the patent literature:
PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED
To provide a compact, lightweight and large-diameter optical system.
Patent Document 1 describes a double-Gauss type optical system capable of correcting various aberrations with a small number of lenses
However, the double-Gauss type optical system as disclosed in Patent Document 1 satisfactorily corrects various aberrations such as spherical aberration and curvature of field when the symmetry is broken due to miniaturization. Becomes difficult. In particular, when the optical system has a large aperture ratio, it becomes difficult to suppress sagittal flare and coma flare at an intermediate angle of view.
Therefore, an object of the present invention is to provide an optical system and an image pickup apparatus having high optical performance while being compact and having a large aperture ratio.
- Focal length 49.57
- F number 1.85
- Half angle of view 23.58
- Image height 21.64
- Lens overall length 59.59
- BF 25.67
- Focal length 70.00
- F number 1.85
- Half angle of view 17.17
- Image height 21.64
- Lens overall length 83.52
- BF 36.62
According to asobinet, the lens discussed in the patent literature has an optical design similar to the RF 50mm F1.8 STM. Maybe it is another excellent performer at an affordable price.
More Canon patents are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- Automatic shutter silencing based on subject and distance
- A bunch of prime lenses for the RF mount
- An improved Electronic Viewfinder
- Patent application for RF 50mm F1.4 and an RF 35mm f/1.4 lenses
- A zoom lens that might be for an EOS R with APS-C sensor
- A smaller IBIS unit.
- A cooling adapter for the RF mount (R5 overheating?)
- A bunch of macro lenses for the RF mount.
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files