After a long time, here is a new Canon patent application. Canon patent application 2023066202…
Latest Canon Patents: Stacked Sensor and C700 Shaped Video Camera
Two new Canon patents for you to speculate about. One is about a stacked imaging sensor, the other one describes a video camera that looks a lot like the C700.
Canon patent application 2021-002807 (Japan) discusses a stacked imaging sensor. Machine translated excerpt from the patent literature:
In the prior art, while the pixel signal can be read out at high speed, the number of vertical output lines in each pixel row increases, so that the number of constant current circuits to be connected increases and the power consumption increases. In particular, the increase in power consumption during Live View shooting greatly affects the number of shots that can be taken. Further, as the vertical output line of each pixel sequence increases, the scale of the correction circuit for correcting the offset to the pixel signal and the gain variation caused by the vertical output line increases. Correction circuit after the image sensor.
If it cannot cope with the increase in the vertical output line, it is necessary to mount a correction circuit on the image sensor. In this case, it is necessary to also mount a memory for storing the correction value, the power due to the read / write of the memory also increases, and the power consumption increases more and more.
The present invention has been made in view of the above-mentioned problems, and an object of the present invention is to provide an image pickup apparatus capable of achieving both high-speed reading of a pixel signal and reduction of power consumption.
Doesn’t look like a patent that might hit the market any time soon.
Canon patent application 2021-002871 (Japan) discusses a video camera that appears to look like the Canon EOS C700. The patent literature discusses a better wiring layout.
When the number of connectors is further increased, if the connectors are arranged on the side surface of the camera body, the connectors are likely to come off due to the cable being caught when the camera body is moved while being carried on the shoulder.
On the other hand, if all the connectors are arranged on the back surface of the camera body, the size of the camera body in the width direction is further increased, and the shape becomes unsuitable for a shoulder-mounted professional digital video camera.
More Canon patents are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- Patent application for RF 50mm F1.4 and an RF 35mm f/1.4 lenses
- A zoom lens that might be for an EOS R with APS-C sensor
- A smaller IBIS unit.
- A cooling adapter for the RF mount (R5 overheating?)
- A bunch of macro lenses for the RF mount.
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files