This is a rather interesting Canon patent application, and it might well go into production…
A potentially rather useful Canon patent was spotted: an extension grip that allows for uncomplicated change of the batteries.
Canon patent 2022125113 (Japan) discusses methods and technology for an extension grip where batteries can be changed easily. According to the patent drawings, it seems for a compact mirrorless camera, more or less in EOS RP style.
From the patent literature:
A camera accessory is provided in which a battery can be easily inserted into and removed from the camera while being attached to the bottom surface of the camera.
Description of the Related Art
Along with the miniaturization of cameras, an auxiliary grip attached to a camera has been provided as an imaging accessory for improving the holdability of the camera for users with large hands. Patent Document 1 discloses an auxiliary grip detachably attached to a grip portion of a camera. In addition, an auxiliary grip ( hereinafter referred to as an extended grip) is also provided.
However, if the extended grip is attached to the camera when attempting to insert or remove the battery from the bottom side of the camera, first the extended grip is removed from the camera, and then the cover member on the bottom of the camera is removed. It has to be opened, which is annoying for the user.
The present invention provides a camera accessory that allows the battery to be easily inserted and removed from the camera while attached to the bottom surface of the camera.
More Canon patent applications are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- RF 16-28mm lens with either f/2.8, f/2.8-4, or f/4
- Automatic shutter silencing based on subject and distance
- A bunch of prime lenses for the RF mount
- An improved Electronic Viewfinder
- Patent application for RF 50mm F1.4 and an RF 35mm f/1.4 lenses
- A zoom lens that might be for an EOS R with APS-C sensor
- A smaller IBIS unit.
- A cooling adapter for the RF mount (R5 overheating?)
- A bunch of macro lenses for the RF mount.
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files