A set of full size JPG pictures shot with the new Canon EOS-1D X Mark II has been published by Canon Japan. A sample video is also provided. The pictures are full size and can be downloaded here.
I got another rumor saying that the Canon EOS 80D might feature a 28MP sensor (thanks). The source also mentioned a “new sensor generation”. This wouldn’t come as a surprise given the amount of sensor-related patents filed by Canon in the last years.
I still expect the EOS 80D announcement to happen in Summer 2016 (others expect an announcement for CP+, towards the end of February, but I guess this is nothing but a hoax). However, there are also rumors suggesting a 24MP sensor for the Canon EOS 80D. For the time being I can’t say which one is more reliable, I am working on it with my sources.
The other bit I continuously get for the EOS 80D is about a new Auto-Focus system. Here too, I do not have reliable information, just wild speculations and clear hoaxes. The EOS 80D might indeed have a new AF system, but so far no hints about its features.
The EOS 750D/Rebel T6i and EOS 760D/Rebel T6s both have a 24MP sensor, as the EOS M3 has. Common sense may suggest that Canon should raise the resolution on the replacement for the highly popular Canon EOS 70D. 28MP sounds plausible to me. All Canon EOS 80D rumors are here.
That’s all for now. Stay tuned…
We already knew that Canon will likely announce a new mirrorless camera during 2016. Now we have sort of a confirmation by a Canon executive.
Please note: the following text is machine translated with some editorial additions and corrections. The original article was posted on ascii.jp (emphasis mine).
Canon Marketing Japan Imaging System Company, president Yagi Koichi Managing Executive Officer [says] “in the third quarter and fourth quarter of 2015, we have been able to ship a lot of mirror-less […] cameras, [but we are] not yet satisfied […]. At present [we are working on] new products, but [we can not] mention, the third quarter in 2016, towards the fourth quarter and that the mirror-less market is forecast to grow, Canon’s share of the mirror-less camera market [in the last] two years ago [was] the 4. position, we want to aim at the 3. position [intended as ranking, editor’s note]. By all means [we want to get the] second place this year […]. And, because second place [is the] middle of the goal, [as] soon as possible [we] want to take the seat of the number one[…].
Canon Marketing Japan Shibasaki Hiroshi Director and Senior Managing Executive Officer, says it also “to implement an aggressive sales promotion measures to tow the camera market with a focus on mirror-less camera.”
Canon’s new flagship, the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, is here, announced world-wide yesterday. Time for a first round-up of hands-on reviews.
- Good sport: a closer look at Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II – DPReview
- X-Factor: We examine Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II – DPReview
- Canon EOS-1D X Mark II hands-on review – Imaging Resource
- Canon EOS-1D X Mark II hands-on review – Digital Camera World
- Canon EOS-1D X vs. EOS-1D X Mark II, what’s new? – Pocket-Lint
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Preview – Photography Blog
- Canon EOS 1D X Mark II hands-on first look – Digital Photographer
- Exhaustive introduction to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, with videos, by Canon Australia
- Hands on: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II review – TechRadar
- Top 10 New Features Of The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II – Park Cameras
- Canon launch 4K EOS-1D X mkII pro DSLR – we go hands on. Including testing the touch screen AF – News Shooter
- 20.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- Dual DIGIC 6+ Image Processors
- 3.2″ 1.62m-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
- DCI 4K Video at 60 fps, 8.8MP Still Grab
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF II
- Native ISO 51200, Expanded to ISO 409600
- 14 fps Shooting, 16 fps in Live View
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF and Movie Servo AF
- Built-In GPS, CFast & CF Card Slots
- Includes 64GB CFast 2.0 Card and Reader