A new Canon patent application for RF mount lenses with "Defocus Smoothing" (DS) optical technology.…
And yet another very interesting Canon patent application spotted by asobinet.com. What about your camera switching automatically the shutter mode?
Canon patent application 2021-129230 discusses technology and methods to automatically switch from mechanical shutter to electronic shutter based on parameters. From the patent literature:
PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: To provide a lens device, an image pickup device, a camera system, and a program capable of taking an image with an optimum shutter method without a user manually changing a setting.
Conventionally, an imaging device that realizes imaging by using a mechanical shutter and an electronic shutter in combination has been proposed. In Patent Document 1, flicker detection is performed based on a signal output from an image sensor, and based on the result, imaging is selected to select whether to use a mechanical shutter or an electronic shutter in the second and subsequent imaging of continuous imaging. The device is disclosed. When flicker occurs, the image pickup apparatus of Patent Document 1 uses an electronic shutter to improve the efficiency of the image pickup operation, thereby improving the frame speed during continuous shooting.
However, the shooting conditions in which it is preferable to use a mechanical shutter or an electronic shutter depend on requirements other than the frame speed. For example, when imaging is performed at a shutter speed at which the effect of rolling shutter distortion is large, it is desirable to use a mechanical shutter. Further, when imaging is performed at a shutter speed in which the shutter impact is sustained during the imaging period, it is desirable to use an electronic shutter in order to suppress image blurring. On the other hand, there are some users who like the sound and shooting sensation when using the mechanical shutter.
An object of the present invention is to provide a lens device, an image pickup device, a camera system, and a program capable of taking an image with an optimum shutter method without manually changing a setting by a user.
If I got it right the shutter switch is triggered by shutter speed and also by the tracked shooting distance:
The lens device is a lens device which can be mounted on an imaging device which picks up an image of a subject and an imaging device which has a mechanical shutter. A determination unit is provided with a determination unit which determines which of the mechanical shutter and the electronic shutter is to be used for starting imaging of an imaging device using information on an imaging device and information on a current imaging condition, and notifies the imaging device of a determination result.
Interesting fact: there is another Canon patent that discusses how to automatically silence the shutter based on subject and distance.
More Canon patents are listed here. Some particularly interesting patent applications we think might get into production are these:
- Automatic shutter silencing based on subject and distance
- A bunch of prime lenses for the RF mount
- An improved Electronic Viewfinder
- Patent application for RF 50mm F1.4 and an RF 35mm f/1.4 lenses
- A zoom lens that might be for an EOS R with APS-C sensor
- A smaller IBIS unit.
- A cooling adapter for the RF mount (R5 overheating?)
- A bunch of macro lenses for the RF mount.
- A 8mm f/4 circular fisheye lens for the Canon EOS R system
- A battery grip that works with differently siszed cameras
- A 100-400mm f/5.5-7.1 lens for APS-C cameras. EOS M or DSLR?
- RF 17-70mm lens for EOS R system
- IBIS coming to the EOS M and PowerShot lineup?
- Patent Application: mirrorless camera with large display and virtual control wheel
- Patent Application: IBIS and Lens IS Working Together
- Patent application for high speed mirror movement and control
- Patent application for an RF 14-28mm f/2 lens
- Patent application for an RF 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Patent application for a smart lens cap
- Patent application for celestial auto-focus
- Patent application describing a Pop-Up Flash With LED
- Patent application describing the optical formula for a RF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS lens for EOS R systems
- Patent application describing how to improve burst rate by compressing raw files
- Patent application describing a new way to review photos from a sequential shot
- Patent application that describes technology to improve wireless communication while reducing power consumption
- Patent application to spot and reduce moire artefacts in image data
- Patent application for weather sealed lens adapter
- Patent application for AI powered predictive camera control system
- Patent application for 18-55mm kit lens with LCD display
- Patent application to reduce noise in image files